Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Bleaching We will Go!!!

Two tasks done to day, Bleached 2 drop clothes and picked up the hanging hardware.

Yesterday I surfed around the web and decided to check out JC Penney for hardware and stumbled upon something worth purchasing. These double rods in that color (Linden St Double), I wanted something that was sturdy (it had good reviews on the JCP website) and the hanging hardware shouldn't look cheap and difficult to install. Also a bonus is that JCP is running a sale so these babies were heavily discounted and with a JCP card you could get a extra 20% off. So I bit the bullet and bought them. But since I would have to pay tax I might as well buy them from the local store and save on shipping costs.

Next task of the day was bleaching those canvas drop clothes. I tore open the first package only to find that it had a joining seam in it, bummer so I tore open the 2nd, 3rd and 4th praying that these ones wouldn't have any issues and ...phew...no issues. Dug out a big plastic bin to do the long soak in our master bath tub, since I didn't want the kids to get in it.  Filled it up half way with hot water dumped 2 cups of Bleach in it gave it a stir to mix it and then slowly added the canvas to the water. With a handy paint stir stick I poked down the fabric until it all stayed under the liquid and let it sit for 5 and a half hours. Then dumping out the liquid, I carefully carried the bin and canvas over to our washing machine (careful because I don't want to bleach our carpets.). There I added a cup of bleach to the wash load and ran it on the Whitest White setting on our machine. Once that was done I ran a 2nd wash with soap and bleach on the normal wash setting, finally the 3rd wash it was 1 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide in the bleach bin and soap on the normal wash setting. Then off to the dryer and then iron.
Now I have these great whitish canvas with some character to work with. I'm a happy girl. Tomorrow its time to hang the hardware and see what additional mods I need to add to the canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment