Sunday, July 24, 2011

Drapery Progress

Wow, talk about a long process to get the drop cloths from stiff and ashy colored to a softer ivory color. My last post pretty much summed it up, I'm calculating that in one day I can get 2 drop cloths bleached and still have time for doing errands and family stuff. My warning is that you will burn through a lot of bleach (3 bottles of the non Costco sized bottles) and a decent amount of hydrogen peroxide(2-3 32 ounce bottles). I guess on the positive side the cost for these items is fairly low for the great end results.

Well today I hung up the hardware and I'm really pleased with my selection. The copper brown color goes well with the ivory drop cloths and I really like the matching clip rings. Thank goodness for the JC Penney's sale it really helped to off set the cost, but man it still expensive when your room have 3 windows to cover.
I clipped up the panels with 9 clips per panel and hung up 2 for one window, it gave it a nice full look, but since I only had 2 panels bleach I decided to move one over to the window next door, just to see how much light would be reduced. Well good news this morning, it did enough for me to realize which side was brighter and to roll away from it. 
So I have a third window and this one is big and faces the opposite side of the 2 that I just covered.Well I only got around to bleaching one panel today, so I guess half that window will be covered until next weekend when I can bleach some more drop cloths. So in total my goal is to have 2 panels per window on the ones are are already up, and on the big window I'm planning/hoping that 4 drop cloths will cover them nicely. The only downside is that I need a LOT of clip rings (72) and those add up too. But I guess there could be far worse if I accounted that similar styles drapes from Pottery barn run $60 + and instead I've spent $11 for each (8 total so far).
Now that they are up, I have to decided If I want to stiffen up the top of the panel to give better structure with the clips, and also decided if I want a color block on the bottom. Right now they're just puddling on the floor a bit to much and way to enticing for the kids to play hide and seek in.

No comments:

Post a Comment