Tuesday, July 19, 2011

New Project Request - Drapes

Oh how many in progress projects to I have out right now.
  1. Recover the dining room chairs (5 of 6 done)
  2. Paint bathroom cabinets white (1 of 3 done)
  3. Hem the curtains in my son's room
Just completed was my laundry room, a project that seems to have taken a year to finish.

But my husband has made a request that surpasses these. He wants to have curtains to reduce the light that floods our bedroom every morning. I told him that in order for that request to be fulfilled I would need to do a bedroom makeover, aka new bedding. So how can I pass up an opportunity to start a new project with my husband's permission. So curtains it is.

Here's my dilemma I want the perfect bedding and nothing off the rack is jumping out at me. I guess I need to visit Calico Corners and see what inspirational fabric I can use for our duvet and use that to build out our room. So what about curtains do I start them without having the perfect bedding? Yup, I'm going to use bleached painters drop cloth canvas as curtains. Cheap, effective, sturdy and I think it might fit in well with my idea of a French Country.


So today I purchased 4 drop cloths at $10.98 a piece (6 ft x 9 ft, beware it's actually 5' 9" x 8' 9") from Home Depot and a bottle of bleach. Now because I have a front loading washer I can't just dump everything in and let it soak so I'm going to have to improvise and get a plastic tub to do the bleaching. I chose the Home Depot brand because they came highly recommended by Beneath My Heart's Blog

And I'll be following Miss Mustard Seed instructions on bleaching the canvas, it was written for HGTV.com but it came from her blog, My change is that I'll be putting a plastic tub in my bathtub filled with hot water and 2 cups of Bleach mixed in, before soaking them, and then running the rest of the wash and neutralize in the front loader.

No comments:

Post a Comment